Saturday 9 June 2007

ENTRY 18

Can video games be destructive to mental health? Can they actually desensitize people to the point where they cannot tell the difference between reality and virtual reality? The evidence will be presented for it, the evidence against it, and then I’ll show my own personal experience. You can draw your own results.
First of all, the evidence that video games promote violence. There actually is no conclusive evidence, either way, that video games cause violent behavior. But the games are violent, and in some cases do promote aggression, primarily in men rather than women.
Almost all first-person shooters are graphic and involve killing with high-powered weapons; blood and guts around are commonplace. One game’s claim to fame, Soldier of Fortune, is almost 200 different violent and bloody reactions to being shot, depending on where you shoot and the power of the gun. While these games are violent, there is still no conclusive evidence that they could influence a person to acting it out in real life. It still remains: games don’t kill people, people kill people. Some people cre ated game modifiers, to make it look like people, but then the games are not to blame, the people are.
And now, my own personal experience. Ever since I decided to do my essay on this topic, I have been playing extremely violent video games to see their effect on me. So far I have started and finished the Brothers in Arms Road to hill 30, Brothers in Arms Earned in Blood, Call of Dudy 1,2,3,Medal Of Honor 1,2,3.All these games related to WW2. So far, all of what this has done is taken away hours of my life. I have not had any violent thoughts towards anyone , and it is difficult for me even to imagine murdering someone.
My belief is still firmly pro -video games, even violent ones.A lot of people play, have played, and will play a number of violent video games in their lifetime. Video games are not to be blamed. Saying video games are to be blamed for recent violence like in the Virginia Tech Campus is not true at all.
Also, ratings are made for games. So my humble piece of advise ;check the rating and everyone will love each other again.

No comments: